Hello family and friends,
On July 7th and 8th, Cerritos College Theatre Department faculty, staff, alumni, and current students will come together for a two night benefit in honor of alumna Alma Griffin‘s son Joshua.
Joshua (Sasha) was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma last year on April 30th. Sasha has undergone extensive treatment over the past year battling the bone and tissue cancer. Unfortunately, in the last couple of months his condition has rapidly declined. Sasha has left the hospital and is receiving hospice care. He is no longer undergoing treatment. There is nothing else the doctors can do, except ease the excruciating pain he is in.
However, there is something we can do. We can give Sasha peace of mind. Here is a short passage from a bulletin Alma posted online to family and friends:
** When Sasha was told he wasn't going to make it he wanted to be cremated because it was cheaper than a burial. I told him I needed to visit him and that I would raise the money so he could see that I wasn't burdened with the costs. Thanks to the generosity and kindness of you amazing people we have raised almost all the funds for his burial. He is now planning his funeral picking things out, music, pal barrers, okaying the pictures we are putting together, his clothes, which is his paramount hockey jersey and a puck. I am amazed and hold him in awe as an 18 year old kid going through this difficult time in his life with such strength. Thanks, Alma **
Although a previous fund raiser made a substantial amount of money, it isn’t enough to cover the modest burial Sasha is helping his mom plan. The average cost of a proper burial can run anywhere between $7,000 and $10,000. If we all come together we could add to their total increasing the funds and adding to Sasha’s peace of mind. 100% of the proceeds from this event will be donated to Alma Griffin and her family.
Here are six ways you can help. Remember no contribution is too small. Email :
firstname.lastname@example.org to request details.
1. Volunteer to be an usher, ticket taker, you name it…we need it! Don’t be shy sign-up today!
2. Donate sodas, snack size bags of chips, cookies, bottled water, candy, or any other concession stand items that could generate easy money.
3. Donate an item that would be considered valuable in a raffle or silent auction. You may even work for a company that may donate a gift card or give up a pair of season tickets to a ball game for the auction. Get as creative as you wish.
4. Join us July 7th at Cerritos Community College for the benefit show. Event includes and live music, an improv show, raffles, and a special tribute to Sasha before each show. Detailed information regarding start times will be available soon as we are still in the planning stage. Space is limited. Reserve your ticket today. Email: Sylvia Cervantes email@example.com
5. If you can’t make it on Fri. come out Sat. July 8th
Improv Show sponsored by Marabeth (Mudge) McSeveney. Join your favorite Sabatoge improvers in Corona for a night of laughs. This event was originally planned months ago prior to word of Sasha’s condition and in hearing the news Marabeth has offered to donate all proceeds to Alma and her family. For ticket information contact Marabeth McSeveney:
If you prefer to make a straight donation you can mail it to:
Alma L. Griffin 12052 Rendova St. Artesia Ca. 90701
For more information posted by Alma, family/friends visit: www.caringbridge.org click on the link VISIT then type joshuayoung in the space provided.
Take care of yourselves and the ones who love you,
Friends of Alma Griffin